Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Touched a Nerve

Well judging by the comments my last blog generated from fellow reps, it is apparent that I have touched a nerve. What is also apparent is that there is a great divide between reps at the big magazines and those at the small ones. But one thing we all have in common is simple human suffering -- seems nobody is happy.

To set a few matters straight:
  • I have worked on both large and small magazines. Launches and established titles. But don't assume I work on a small title now. I am an equal opportunity offender and was being somewhat facetious when I called reps at larger titles rich order takers. Still, I'll take a large, established title any day because the ultimate reward of this job is the great feeling of bringing in the business and big magazine reps get the buzz that much more often.
  • I worked equally hard on both large and small magazines. When it comes to hard work, it's not the magazine, it's the rep. And I know most magazine reps work hard. But nobody is making calls after hours. Often those at the bigger titles are working late because they have been invited to respond to an RFP, something reps at the small titles don't get to see much.
  • Reps at large magazines have high bars to clear and all that matters to the Publisher is making budget. So even if your territory scored an easy $2 million in sales (say the Christmas issue of Food & Drink), if your budget is $2.5 million that other 500,000 where the bread is earned. Reps at small magazines consider every page sold to be a coup and, with far less in sales, can sometimes earn as much as a rep at a big magazine.
  • The phones ring at the big magazines. But that doen't mean they get the business. Advertisers will indeed pit magazines and even publishing companies against each other for share of pie and even sometimes for the entire budget. Losing one of those battles does indeed suck, especially if you won it last year and your boss asks how you intend to replace that $300,000 account as if you have secretly been squirelling away some big advertisers for a rainy day. The phones don't ring at small magazines.
  • Yes anonymous commenter #4 - big magazines receive more pie because they do perform better. They typically offer more audience for the dollar and do so in a quality package. Frankly, they should be easy sells but I will admit, it is still challenging. Nonetheless, at least these magazines are in the game. Reps at small magazines don't get to play much.
So anybody interested in leaving their rep job at Canadian Living for one at Canadian Dimension? Not me, that's for sure!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reppy...

you did touch a few nerves, and now I am going to touch a few more...I am sure this will cause a shitstorm, (well, perhaps only a little shitstorm) but here goes...

I run a small mag...circulation is at 20,000 - we are worldwide. Most of our circulation goes to the USA and most of our advetisers are US based.

We are super niche and it's a flat organization. Me. I farm out the design work, but other than that, I handle it all.

I have built this magazine by being extremely focused. I am very adamant as to I let in the magazine and have refused to run ads if they don't fit with the mag. I'll repeat that: I have turned away ads.

Over the last year, I have started to realize that I am not that interested in working with ad agencies either. We are not listed in CARD, SRDS and I will not reply to RFP's.

When it comes to niche publishing, publishers need to look at their magazine as a valuable brand...and the more influencial the magazine, the more protective they should be.

It's pretty obvious that unless you have oodles of cash, there will be very few mass market mags starting up. However, niche publications will continue to blossom....some will thrive and some will die. The way agencies are paid means that small niche mags (with small billings) require the same kind of traffic as big mags.

It's in an agencies best interest to work with BIG numbers.

I am working in an alternative universe. We are about small but significant numbers.

Quite frankly, I am not interested in dealing with people who have very little understanding of what the mag represents.

To put it another way, I am ONLY interested in working with my community. I am protective of what I have built and I see no reason to let ad agencies in.

Again, this probably won't work for most magazines. (I am talking about consumer publications, by the way) However, if you're a niche magazine, this maybe the only way to really differentiate yourself and to really drive your readership wild...as I do.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home