Saturday, December 16, 2006

Masthead round up

Okay okay! I'm being hounded as to why I haven't blogged in a few weeks. I realize that I must continue to post otherwise risk the small franchise of followers I have developed. But hey, I'm a rep, not a writer. And this is the season for selling isn't it. Aren't we all busy responding to RFPs? I think that will be my next subject. But for now, some random comments on the latest issue of Masthead:
  • Bill Shields is back! And after racing motorcycles and fighting cancer, he shows us his cojones in a couple of columns about Ken Alexander of The Walrus". We hear descriptors like mad, bumbling, meddlesome, bully, erratic and destructive. And those are his good points! Personally I'd like to know how Alexander managed to arrange "an advance on his inheritance". Reminds me of that priceless Episode 16 from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

    So why does The Walrus get so much ink. Sure it's fun watching all the high drama and Alexander does know how to play the National Magazine Awards game, but this is still a puny little magazine with 25,000 paid subscribers and 9,000 single copy sales. Another 13,000 are sponsored subscriptions or giveaways. Big deal.

  • Geoffrey Dawe, noted workaholic/slave-driver and sales rep of the century, is now going to travel for a few months and as a parting shot we get "It's hard for Torontonians to understand that life isn't actually about work". Great, now I feel like I've wasted all these years.

  • D.B. Scott is truly a know-it-all. And I mean that in the good way. I can never find fault with his responses as the answer guy. Damn he makes me feel so D.u.m.B.

  • LNA reports indicate that magazines have had "robust" third quarter results with a 6% increase in pages versus 2005. Personally I haven't thought of this as a stellar year. Any magazine dependent on car ads must feel likewise. What has happened to GM, Nissan and Subaru?

  • In "Starts" we read about Blackfly. I'm taking bets on when we'll read about Blackfly in "Stops". Like why bother - circulation 2,000 (including a newsstand draw of 500 that will never sell) and page rate $500. They are hoping to make it to their 4th issue - the one-year mark, when they believe that the grant money will start flowing.
Also appearing was this ridiculous editorial cartoon. How many mistakes can you find?


Like since when do media planners visit us? Or dress up pretty? Or talk like Valley girls? Or seem to care about mundane metrics like reach and frequency. And isn't reach and penetration the same thing? And are those buttons right on her nipples. Ugh.

Merry Christmas to all the little reptiles!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yayyyy! You're back.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Since when do media planners dress up pretty?"

Which shop(s) do you call on? Where I work I wonder how some jrs are able to eat what with the trendy clothes they are constantly sporting.

And yeah, good planners actually do care about metrics.

What happened to GM et al? Perhaps you should speak with you clients or take a look in the paper or recognize that automotive pages usually go in cycles.

I'm hoping you blog more often in the future, I do really enjoy your blog.

- Planning supervisor.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Reptile said...

Oh wow - a planning supervisor is in the terrarium. Probably one I left a message for earlier this week which he/she still hasn't returned. Too busy snooping on the whining Reptile.

Of course I'm joking. I love you guys.

So what fancy pants agency are you at? Sure some of you might be blowing the whole $500 pay cheque on the latest designer jeans but it still doesn't look like dressing "pretty" to me. Not like that cartoon anyways. I mostly see a very casual environment. And that's a good thing. Media is now cool. Almost like creative. Ironic how back when media was a glorified accounting department stuck behind the scenes, planners/buyers had to dress in "business attire".

As for the car business, it's not so much about being cyclical as it is being whimsical. In comes a new Director of Marketing or a new agency and the $ all get shifted around.

And don't get me started on metrics. Media plans are full of magazines with no PMB data (e.g. Wish, Elle Canada)and weak PMB data (e.g. Toro, Western Living). Magazines are mostly bought on environment and perceived readership. Cottage Life sold more ads before they had PMB data and their numbers are great (although 80 readers per copy outside Ontario might be a tad high!).

Maybe we need more "good" planners. Like you.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home