Thursday, November 23, 2006

Reptile is 1. Will there be a 2?


I missed my first birthday as a blogger which happened this past Tuesday. Then again, so did you. No cards, calls or comments. Boo-hoo! Somebody told me I'd be done blogging after three months. I took it as a challenge. But sure enough, at exactly three months, I went dry. After posting my 19th entry in 13 weeks (one of my favourites - Introducing the Maras), it was a full month before I posted again. But I'm still at it. Question is, for how long?

It seems that all the little reptiles in all the media will be looking over their shoulders as a new ice age bears down on us - the age of Google. Personally, I love Google. How do you think I get images like the one to the left? But what the heck are they doing selling advertising on behalf of offline media?! That's my job they are extincting.

Now maybe it won't work so well with magazines. They did try selling this medium last year and even they couldn't do it (see here and here). And apparently:
"The lackluster results came despite deep discounts in magazine ad rates. Some ad pages were sold by Google for as little as one-quarter of the listed ad rates at these magazines, according to information provided by participating advertisers".

But that has not deterred the rapacious Google. In the National Post today (from the New York Times) we read the following:
  • Media Buyers are quaking as the Internet giant makes a play to sell traditional advertising. Google could end up automating so much of the ad-buying process that companies no longer see the need to pay much to media buyers (ed: Since when are media buyers are paid much?!)
  • Google executives say that they can save marketers money on print, radio and TV spots while taking a commission in the process (Hey, that's my commission!).
  • Google hopes to one day provide a place where advertisers can buy ads in all media (ed: and live happily ever after).
The story continues. Hope to see you this time next year!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day.

No comments on the changes at Transcon & St. Joes?

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home