Friday, January 06, 2006

Dropped my drawers today

I have a darn good track record of treating clients fairly when it comes to price. I don't like big price cuts unless we're talking remnants. And rarely do I get asked for ridiculous concessions. In fact, when asked what my best rate is, I toss it back and ask how much they want to pay and usually hear a number that is quite reasonable. Still, nothing would please me more than one rate card for all.

But today, I cut my rate by half and made it on to a packaged goods plan. It was an experiment and I'm not so sure if I should jump for joy or cry. The revenue is welcome but how well will I sleep tonight? How can I ever again say that I'm offering the best rate possible? I feel a little dirty. But not as dirty as I would have felt had they seen me stripped down and still rejected my offer.

Rate negotiations are a bit of a game. Naturally, everybody likes a good deal and ad agencies are always needing to demonstrate their value to their fickle clients. Stretching the budget is as a good a way as any. But why should I offer one advertiser a rate that is less than I offer another if they are running the same schedule? Well actually there are some very good reasons (which I will save for another day), but will the buyer paying the higher rate appreciate these? I think not. In today's case, we could not compete efficiency-wise with the bigger more efficient magazines on the plan. And most certainly, they did not need our magazine (but then they never really do). So I did the nasty.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to your last entry "PHD". I was going to tell Lucy to check it out and now it is gone!!!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Reptile said...

What took you so long? Since it was more of a personal message than a blog entry, and nobody replied, I deleted it. It started like this:

Well it seems that the fine folks from PHD Canada have stumbled into my little blog.
Hello and welcome. Feel free to comment on anything you read here. Rumour has it
that the lovely and talented Lucy Monaco (I'm not so hot about the Grad name. She went from a geographic to a demographic)"...


The rest is gone but I recall being curious if she went to the dark side of this business as a rep at CanWest. Let me know!

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Nasty Lizard,

Saw the link from DB's site and had to have a look. Love your style, Reptile. Keep up the good work.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home